Club members and volunteers of all UNSW sports clubs are insured for personal accident cover by ACE insurance though UNSW Sport and Recreation.

This is a base level of cover and will not substantially cover treatment in a private hospital. Whilst there are some benefits paid for non-medicare expenses, there may be an excess and a percentage of the expenses which are not covered.

If you rely solely on the Uni’s Accident Cover, you may be treated in the public health system under Medicare which can involve substantial delays for treatment including surgery.

The club strongly recommends that players purchase their own private health insurance.

Accident Injury Insurance Claim Procedure – Claim form and FAQs attached below

Provided that your club membership fees are fully paid up, injuries incurred during training or playing for the UNSW-ES AFL Club can be claimed through UNSW insurance as we are one of their affiliated clubs.


Check with your team manager that an Incident Form has been submitted to UNSW Sport and Recreation.

Fill out the Personal Accident Claim Form – the last page is used to keep track of expenses incurred. You’ll need to submit a separate claim form for each separate injury.

Collect all your receipts for expenses incurred through your injuries – physio, doctor’s bills etc. If you have private health cover, you will have to claim from the private health fund first. Make sure you keep copies of receipts before sending them to the health fund and then the UNSW insurance policy will cover up to 75% of non-Medicare expenses. You can claim on each injury for up to 12 months, at total of $20,000 of Non-Medicare medical expenses.

Use the contact number on the form or phone UNSW on (02) 9385 1980

It is advised that students keep a copy of all documents submitted.